Here’s What Happens To Your Body If You Eat Moldy Food By Mistake

Picture the scene: you’ve just made a sandwich packed with your favorite ingredients and taken a bite. After you’ve savored the first mouthful, though, you notice a few spots of fuzzy green mold on the bread. Then fear begins to take over as you wonder what the fungus is doing to your insides. So, what are the real implications of ingesting mold by accident? Well, the answer may actually come as some surprise.

And mold is probably more common than you think, too. The United States Department of Agriculture’s Food and Safety Inspection Service explains, “Molds are microscopic fungi that live on plant or animal matter. No one knows how many species of [them] exist, but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps 300,000 or more.

“Most [molds] are filamentous – threadlike – organisms, and the production of spores is characteristic of fungi in general,” the service continues on its website. “These spores can be transported by air, water or insects.” The best conditions for mold to grow, then, are when its surroundings are humid and warm, and alarmingly it can materialize in any size or shape.

Mold on food items won’t always look the same, however, as it can be dusty, furry, black, white, gray, green or yellow. And in 2020 Dr. Carla Gervasio – who specializes in Oriental medicine – explained to Shape magazine that its spores don’t just grow on food. They can be in the air, for instance, as well as on the countertops where we prepare our food and even on the sponges with which we clean our dishes…Go to next page to see more.

Prev1 of 36